Friday, December 2, 2011

my first scarf

I've been busy so I haven't been posting. I've been creating but haven't been finishing much. I'm embarrassed to admit how long it took me to knit this scarf. I finished it last week and think I started it this summer? Oi.
This was my first ever knitting project. I picked a scarf for my first project because I wanted something simple where I could just knit and familiarize myself with the stitches without having to get too fancy. I'm pretty pleased with the results although there are a number of errors that hopefully no one else can see. While I was knitting the scarf I took a class in sock knitting (another unfinished project). Between the two projects, I figured out how to "read" my knitting and can now tell a knit from a purl. I feel a lot more confident in my knitting now.
The pattern came from Debbie Stoller's Stitch 'N Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook and it was as simple as could be. Two skeins of mohair yarn, knit 2, purl 2 for a total of 32 stitches. Repeat until you run out of yarn. This was also my first attempt at blocking and had mixed results. On one hand, I'm glad all the excess dye came out when I rinsed it but the scarf lost all of its fuzziness.

I still have a bunch of things left to do for the end of the semester and some super secret holiday things to make but I'm looking forward to many long hours of creating during my break. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers. Thanks for your comments!