Friday, September 2, 2011

knitting frustrations

I'm not sure if you can see from this picture but there is a mistake in the scarf I am knitting. It's not a huge mistake; it's just one stitch, but it frustrates me just the same.
I went to my first Stitch n' Bitch (or in my case, Pints 'n Purls) last night. The idea behind Stitch 'n Bitch is that knitters come together to knit and gab - a community knitting event if you will. I had been looking forward to attending one of these events the entire summer (summer classes kept me too busy). I wanted to meet like-minded crafters and feel part of the knitting community.

I was not at all prepared for the sensory overload of being surrounded by 50 loud, chatting knitters! It was really overwhelming. I was likely one of the most novice knitters there. I wanted to be social, to chat and learn from the others and maybe make some new friends. I found that I am not yet at the stage where I can talk and knit at the same time; I can barely listen and knit at the same time. Most of these knitters didn't even have to look at their work!

I've been knitting my scarf for about a month and I haven't made too many mistakes. As soon as I joined the knitting circle last night, I made about a zillion mistakes and ended up having to learn the fine art of "un-knitting." It was really really frustrating! But as these kind knitters told me, "We're not solving world peace, we're just knitting." So I kept doing my yoga breathing, taking out the bad stitches and trying again. I'm making a scarf. I'm the only person who's going to see the mistake. It's not the end of the world that there's a mis-stitch. I'm leaving the mistake in the scarf as a gentle reminder to let go of knitting perfection. After all, I'm just a beginner with a whole lifetime of knitting ahead of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers. Thanks for your comments!