Monday, January 6, 2014

a new year

Happy New Year!  Looks like I haven't posted since October.  Oops.  I've been sewing but sometimes I just forget to take pictures and don't want to take the time to post something.  In general, 2013 was a tough year for me.  Things are definitely on an upswing, and with that I hope to get back in to sewing more.  You'd think that when things are hard my sewing machine would have offered some solace; that didn't really happen this time.  I guess I needed a break? 

At the beginning of the year, I set some goals for 2013:

1. Use up some of the fabric I have!  Success!  I've made a number of things with my scraps.  And I've purchased some new fabric to diversify the scrap bin :-)

2. Sell something I make: a quilt, a bag, a potholder, something.  Success!  I custom made a quilt for a friend. 

3. Continue to work on garment fit issues.  Oi.  This continues to be a big challenge.  I'm slowly getting to know my body and what works and I'm learning that what works for most women on the planet doesn't work for me. 

4. I'd like to learn to knit lace.  I took a couple of classes in lace knitting (did I finish the projects or take pictures?  no.  sigh.) so I've got a rudimentary understanding of the stitches. 

5. Learn to take better pictures.  Ha!  I don't think this one really happened for my sewing projects.  I have been practicing taking better pictures in my other (ie non sewing) life, so maybe this year I can transfer some skills?

6.  Make some quilts for Project Linus.  I think I made five Project Linus quilts last year (the Project Linus "season" starts in September).  Yay!

A mixed bag for 2013.  That's ok, I've got some things to work on in 2014:
1. I'd like to make 10 quilts for Project Linus.  Seeings as I have three in progress, I feel like this is do-able.  They're really fun to make and I love experimenting (and learning) with color and patterns.

2. Finish my #scrappytripalong quilt! I need to make 10 more blocks before I can put it together.

3. Challenge myself with a certain dress pattern that has been sitting on my sewing table for a year.  I have the pattern and fabric but it's a lot more sophisticated that the Collete Patterns so I've been hesitant about getting started.  I may need a professional consultation (ie my mom) on this one.

4. Experiment with knits.  Thus far, all of the clothes I've made have been cotton or corduroy.  I'd like to branch out.  I know knits aren't all that exciting but you've got to start somewhere, right?

5. Participate in a sewing challenge through my quilt guild.  I've been intimidated by showing the other members my work since I like to do my own thing and never use designer fabrics, but how am I going to learn and grow if I don't try?  

6. Finish a certain shawl that I started knitting in June.  According to the pattern, it's actually done but I want to add another repeat section to make it a little bigger.

7. Start going to knitting groups again.  I stopped last spring when life got hairy and I miss the camaraderie and seeing what everyone else is working on. 

8 Work on a "challenging" knitting pattern.  This is pretty open to interpretation since all knitting is challenging to me :-) 

Looks like it's going to be a busy and fun year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers. Thanks for your comments!