Friday, October 4, 2013

a broken curse and back to sewing

After this summer's sewing extravaganza, I took a little break from making anything. Only it wasn't planned and I didn't know I was taking a break while I was doing it.  I think I got a little burned out.  I didn't even feel like fabric shopping when I had the opportunities!  I decided to give myself a goal - once I finished knitting a pair of socks I've been working on for almost two years, I would start sewing. 

This is not the pattern I originally wanted to knit with this yarn.  Unfortunately, I ended up ripping out the first five patterns I started.  That's no typo - *five* patterns.  A couple of the patterns weren't well written, another was far too complex for the self-striping pattern, and another pattern had too much, um, user error for me to finish.  So I went back to my trusty toe-up magic loop socks and finally finished them!  I'm going to wear them around the house and to bed so they're cute, but not complicated. 

knitting socks

I finished the socks last night and immediately took out all my fabric scraps and sorted them by color.  I had a LOT of scraps crammed into a very small space!  This picture doesn't do the mess justice - there are a lot more piles of fabric on my living room floor than it looks like. 

fabric scraps

I've been feeling like I need to stretch myself with my sewing and learn something new so today I decided to tackle some scrappy log cabin blocks.  I thought they'd be really challenging, but they were really fun to make.  The most challenging part was measuring correctly - go figure.  My plan is to make a bunch with all of the scraps and then figure out a way to put them all together. 

scrapy log cabin quilt


scrapy log cabin quilt


I am so happy to be sewing again!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers. Thanks for your comments!