Happy New Year!! I don't know about you, but I feel like 2012 flew by. In so many ways, 2012 was a great year - I got my MBA! I got a new job! - that I feel a little sad to see it go. I've been looking over my posts and pictures from the past year, I can't believe how much I've learned, creatively. I'm happy to report that I've mostly aced the creative goals that I set for myself in 2012:
1. Sew a dress. In December I made Colette's Peony dress. This was a huge learning curve for me - I figured out how to insert sleeves and connect a skirt to a dress top. I haven't shared any pics yet because sizing is still an issue for me and I need to adjust the top so the bust isn't so weird.
2. Learn how to properly bind a quilt. I am not sure there's a "right" way. Sure, I could learn to sewing bindings on better, but I don't think what I'm doing is all that bad. I had thought that machine sewing bindings was a sure sign of a novice, but it turns out that lots of quilters machine bind. I'm generally happy with how they come out; I think I'd just like to feel more confident in my skills and make them a little neater.
Knit and sew (at least) one (each) quilt for Project Linus this year.
I gave four quilts to Project Linus this year. Four! I absolutely loved working on these quilts and am so happy they are keeping kids in Maine warm this winter. I didn't end up knitting a quilt this year - hopefully next year!
4. Knit something. I've really grown in my knitting confidence this year. Though I haven't actually finished many project, I've started lots (and subsequently frogged them all) and have really learned how to read my knitting, unknit, and take chances with new patterns. I finished two pair of socks this year (and started about three others) and learned how to color block. Sometimes I think I like the process of knitting more than I like the actual making of things so I'm not all that worried about all my half-finished projects.
5. Investigate the feasibility of a sewing-related entrepreneurial idea that I've been thinking about . . . I'm still working on this one :-)
As for 2013, my goals are fairly simple:
1. Use up some of the fabric I have! I have a lot of left over fabric from finished projects; I need to use this up before I think about bringing another piece of fabric into my house!
2. Sell something I make: a quilt, a bag, a potholder, something. My friend T told me all through grad school "I want to bring something to market." Well, I do too.
3. Continue to work on garment fit issues. One of the reasons I like making clothes is because store garments are not necessarily meant for my body. I struggled for years with store bought clothing, always buying the wrong size because I didn't know how anything was supposed to fit. I'm finding that that same paranoia has transferred over into sewing clothing. I need to learn that the body measurements I take are correct and that if I use them, I can avoid the wonky bust issues on my new dress.
4. I'd like to learn to knit lace. I am intimidated by lace! I know it's just knitting, but the cast on seems so alien that I haven't been able to wrap my head around it.
5. Learn to take better pictures. My apartment has very little (good) natural light. I am also an impatient picture taker. I can do better.
6. Make some quilts for Project Linus. I don't know how many I'll make this year, but I know I'll be sewing at least a couple and I'd really like to stretch myself and knit a blanket too.
I love the new year. I love having the entire year ahead of me, full of possibility. May 2013 be amazing! xo