(Is there anyone out there who is less photogenic than moi? I think not.)
I struggled mightily with the waistband; I had a very bizarre moment where I found myself wondering if the skirt was too big or too small. I think what happened is that I cut the waistband out too small so when I inserted the zipper I had to line it up with the waistband, causing the skirt to be slightly too tight around my hips. As you can see from the picture above, I added a little fabric to both sides of the zipper which allowed me to then line up the zipper with the "extra" fabric I had on the main skirt panels. I then had to slightly take in the waistband side seams to accommodate for my small waist (it drives me bonkers when waistbands have too much extra fabric!). So, yes, I added and subtracted the same amount of fabric from two different places in the waistband - yoiks! (o_O) It actually ended up working out ok but man, it was a frustrating experience!
While I was kind of frustrated sewing a skirt that I had been obsessing about for months, I'm not quite ready to give up yet. I am still leaning and still very much a novice sewist so I am sure many of my mistakes could have been avoided had I had more sewing experience. I am going to call this Ginger version my "practice" and give it another try, hopefully learning from mistakes!