Friday, May 18, 2012

scrap quilt - done!

Nothing like the excitement of new fabric to play with to motivate you to finish some projects!  I've finished my second (and last) "in progress" quilt today.  I'm dropping it off for Project Linus over Memorial Day so I was anxious to get it done.  This quilt was ridiculously easy to make!  It's made entirely of 5"x5" squares of leftover scraps from other projects and some random fat quarters that I had lying around.  I think the colors worked out pretty well though I inadvertently flipped a couple of  sets of three blocks so there's a slight design flaw in the lower right corner. 
I had planned to practice machine quilting to bind it all together but the combination of polyester batting and the cheapo polyester gingham I accidentally bought for the back created a giant pulled mess on my first go of the quilting.  UGH.
I ripped out the seam and used tied knots on every square (and then some) to bind it all together.  I really like the way it came out and this it's perfect bright cheery quilt for a child.
I tried again to figure out the "stitch in the ditch" method of binding but couldn't quite get what was supposed to happen.  Fortunately, my thread matched my binding fabric so it's not so obvious that I don't know what I'm doing.
On to clothes making!  Have a great weekend :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers. Thanks for your comments!