2012 is off to a crafty start! In a matter of two days, I've finished the top of a Charm(ish) quilt. A true charm quilt doesn't repeat fabric squares. I'm making this quilt to donate to Project Linus so I took the opportunity to use up some of my scraps.
The quilt is 40"x60" so on Monday I cut 96 5"x5" pieces. I miscounted (quelle surprise, right?) as I was cutting and I ended up with 106 pieces.
As I pieced out the quilt, I was glad to have the extra 10 pieces to play with and create a more logical design.
It took about 3-4 hours to sew it all together. I sewed three sets of three and then sewed them together to make groups of 9 and just kept repeating, row by row. I accidentally flipped two of the sets of three but the fabric is so busy I don't think it's too noticeable. The sewing went very quickly and I'm really pleased with the results! I'm going to bind and finish it in a few weeks. I'm making a Chevron quilt with a class over the next couple of weeks and want to concentrate on making that quilt before I finish this one.
Two things that made this quilt so easy and fun to work on - my dad made me a 5"x5" plexiglass mold and I used a roto-cutter for the first time, both of which ensured that my pieces were neat and uniform in size. I also invested in a new iron, one that actually irons as opposed to simply flattening the fabric. It was a lot easier to work with the fabric with it all being the same size and wrinkle-free!