Friday, July 8, 2011

knitting 101

There's a new stitch 'n knit lounge in town called Gather Here. Gather Here is cool and funky and filled with beautiful fabrics and gorgeous yarns. Gather Here offers a number of classes and "stitch 'n bitch" drop-in type sessions. A couple of weeks ago I went to their drop-in Quilting Bee. I whipped up something to hand sew and then suffered the whole time I was there. My stitches were a mess, I broke the thread and I got an inexplicable number of knots in my thread. The Quilting Bee was great; my hand sewing project, not so much. I've been looking for opportunities to become more social, particularly with my sewing. On a whim I signed up for Gather Here's Knitting Basics class, mainly so I could attend some of Gather Here's social/creative events have have something to work on that wasn't hand sewing.
My grand-mother, the namesake of this blog, taught me to knit when I was 9. I was very ambitious and knit a scarf. The result was very much a scarf that a 9-year-old would make! Uneven, messy, dropped stitches, extra stitches, ugly - you get the idea. I think I actually liked the knitting but I never picked it up again after the scarf. My mom knits and several friends knit. While I've always admired their work, I wouldn't say it's always been a dream to start knitting. I am finding with sewing that I'm loving the creative process and "making stuff" is kind of becoming an addiction. After the Knitting Basics class, my feelings have changed and it's possible that I am well on the way to becoming a crazy craft lady.
I loved the knitting class! There were just three of us and the instructor so we got to ask a lot of questions and get a lot of personal attention. The instructor explained how to select yarn and needles and how to read the yarn label and then we got a lesson in casting on, knitting, purling and casting off. We made a very small square which was great practice for knitting, purling and counting. Honestly, the counting was the hardest part. It's hard to keep track of what row you're on when you're having such a good time and laughing with your classmates! My creation isn't perfect - I can see all of the mistakes - but it was a great learning experience and a lot of few to create with some like-minded new friends.
I've already picked out a pattern for a "beginner scarf" - so many crafty projects, so little time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers. Thanks for your comments!