Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bars of Gold - cutting

The first step in creating my quilt is cutting, cutting, cutting. The original quilt pattern calls for a jelly roll or 40 21/2 strips of fabric. This would make a quilt measuring 69" x 66" which is far too large for a child size quilt. I did some sewing math that I'm still not sure is right and decided to cut the quilt size down by a quarter. Translating the reduction in size to the practical measurements of the quilt flummoxed me so my plan is to cut all the fabric I have, sew it all together and hope it works out. My fingers are crossed that I don't end up with a misshapen mess! I cut all the fabric by hand/eye, using pins as guides. The strips are thankfully all approximately the same size!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers. Thanks for your comments!